Student Health Clinic

Covid-19 Vaccine information

The Student Health Clinic will be offering Covid-19 vaccines throughout the Spring 2022 semester on Wednesday afternoons from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm and Thursday mornings from 9:00 am - 11:00 am.  The first vaccine clinic of the semester will be on January 26, 2022  Please call the Covid-19 phone line at (319) 273-2100 to set up an appointment.  Patients must remain at the clinic for 15-30 minutes after receiving the vaccine to monitor for any unexpected changes in their health or allergic reactions. 

All members of the campus community are strongly encouraged to receive a vaccination against COVID-19. Vaccination is the leading prevention strategy to protect individuals from COVID-19 disease and end the COVID-19 pandemic. Current COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the United States are safe, effective, and widely available. Learn more about the benefits of getting a COVID-19 vaccine.



Psychiatric Services

The Student Health Clinic provides services related to psychiatric medication evaluation and management of medications including comprehensive evaluations and pharmacotherapy under the direction of a psychiatrist and psychiatric nurse practitioner. A liaison exists with the University of Northern Iowa’s Counseling Center for additional mental health/behavioral health services.

  • Treatment is client-centered, focusing on individual needs and concerns in the context of our clients' lives outside the treatment setting
  • Treatment recommendations are based on holistic healthcare. We consider all aspects of well-being when developing an individualized treatment plan.
  • Treatment includes multiple modalities as needed such as psychotherapy, crisis management, medications, environmental support, and mobilization of community resources
  • Clients’ autonomy and choices are always maximized

The University of Northern Iowa Student Health Clinic offers psychiatric services to currently enrolled students. Our psychiatric providers include: 

Dr. Abdur Rahim

•Andrew Batovsky, ARNP

•Jennifer Jass, DNP, ARNP

Before a student schedules an appointment they will speak with the Student Health Center Mental Health Case Manager, Cathryn Baumgartner.  She will provide information on what to expect during your appointment and with which provider you will be scheduled. You will need to have your medical/mental health records sent to the Student Health Clinic prior to your appointment, a consent form is available on our website at

The Student Health Clinic charges for psychiatric services and will file a claim to your health insurance company if you provide us with your information.  The initial evaluation ranges from $190-$240 and subsequent follow-up visits between $105-$178.  Any balance due after insurance has been filed will be charged to your U-bill.  If you have questions about your health insurance coverage please call the customer service phone number listed on your insurance card for further clarification. 

If you do not have health insurance coverage and are interested in enrolling in the Affordable Health Care coverage or the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Insurance Plan please contact Connie Potter by email at or phone at 319-273-7736. 

Frequently asked questions:

What happens after I make an appointment?

You will need to bring your health insurance card with you to your scheduled appointment and verify with the receptionist that we have your current information on file.  When you arrive, please check in at one of the computers or with our front desk reception staff. 

What if I want to transfer my psychiatric care to the Student Health Clinic from a different doctor or nurse practitioner?

If you wish to transfer your care to the Student Health Clinic, we will need copies of your mental health records sent to the Student Health Clinic prior to your first visit for the psychiatric provider to review.  A consent form is available on our website at  

For patients currently on ADD/ADHD medications, certain criteria must be met before a UNI Student Health Clinic medical provider will prescribe these medications. There is no guarantee that the same treatment will be continued. Patients have the option of continuing to receive their medication from their previous medical provider, either in person when visiting home or thru the mail system. If a patient wishes to have care transferred to the UNI Student Health Clinic, the following steps must be taken:

  1. Send a request for records to your previous medical provider and psychologist for copies of your formal psychological and educational testing within the past 3 years confirming your ADD/ADHD diagnosis and copies of your medication records. These records should be sent/faxed 319-273-7030 to the UNI Student Health Clinic for review. The request for medical records form can be obtained in person at the UNI Student Health Clinic.
  2. Make sure you have a sufficient supply of your medication from your previous medical provider to allow for time needed for your records to arrive and be reviewed by a UNI Student Health Clinic medical provider.
  3. After 3 – 4 weeks of sending the request for records, call the UNI Student Health Clinic at 319-273-2009 to confirm that the records were received and reviewed. If appropriate, an appointment will then be made with a UNI Student Health Clinic medical provider.
  4. The UNI Student Health Clinic medical provider may request certain medical/lab exams for safety monitoring.

Will I be charged a no show fee if I do not call to cancel a scheduled appointment?

Yes, if you are unable to make your appointment you need to call 319-273-2009 to reschedule.  If you fail to cancel prior to your scheduled appointment you will be assessed a $45 no show fee to your U-bill. 

Are there psychological counseling services available on campus?

Yes, students can make an appointment to see a mental health counselor at the Counseling Center by calling 319-273-2676. 

Medication Refills:

Please allow 1-2 working days for prescription refills that have been prescribed by UNI student health clinic providers.  Prescriptions for controlled substances cannot be phoned in to a pharmacy.  Because controlled substances are strictly controlled by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) students may encounter some difficulties getting their medication when away from home.  A written, dated prescription is required.

Hours of Operation

Sessions are available by appointment.  There is a fee for missed appointments.  For more information contact the Student Health Clinic at 319-273-2009.


UNI Public Safety Office: Campus Emergency 319-273-4000 or 911
Emergency: 911
MercyOne Cedar Falls Emergency: 515 College Street, Cedar Falls, IA, 319-268-3000
Unity Point Waterloo Emergency: 1825 Logan Avenue, Waterloo, IA, 319-235-3697
MercyOne Waterloo Emergency: 3421 W. 9th Street, Waterloo, IA, 319-272-7050
MercyOne Patient Engagement Nurse On Call: 319-272-2600
Black Hawk Grundy County Mental Health Center: 319-234-2893
National Suicide Hotlines:
        National Hopeline Network 1-800-SUICIDE or1-800-784-2433
        National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK
        1-800-273-8255 •LifeLine Chat•

On-line Screening

ULifeline offers students a mental health screening tool, information about mental health issues geared towards you, and resources for learning more and getting help. Go to

Mental Health Services & Resources

For information on campus and community mental health services and resources click here



The Student Health Clinic is an AAAHC accredited facility. We participate in a voluntary site survey to measure the quality of our services and performance against nationally recognized standards of The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.

Accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, INC